Listed building outline
Church Of All Saints Including Front Churchyard Wall, Gates And Gate Piers
Field | Value | Fact links |
---|---|---|
Reference | 383575 | Facts |
Prefix | listed-building-outline | Facts |
Name | Church Of All Saints Including Front Churchyard Wall, Gates And Gate Piers | Facts |
Dataset | Listed building outline | no fact link |
Organisation | Torbay Council | no fact link |
Start date | 1949-10-17 | no fact link |
End date | no fact link | |
Entry date | 1949-10-17 | Facts |
Typology | geography | no fact link |
Geometry |
MULTIPOLYGON (((-3.51621 50.395529, -3.516278 50.395498, -3.516289 50.395507, -3.516335 50.395514, -3.51637 50.395498, -3.516377 50.395469, -3.516371 50.395462, -3.516396 50.39545, -3.516403 50.395427, -3.51637 50.395395, -3.516395 50.395383, -3.516367 50.395355, -3.516415 50.395332, -3.516423 50.395315, -3.51632 50.395221, -3.516333 50.395215, -3.516275 50.39516, -3.516255 50.395151, -3.516219 50.395167, -3.516231 50.395179, -3.516174 50.395205, -3.516184 50.395216, -3.516147 50.395233, -3.516132 50.395218, -3.515988 50.395283, -3.516005 50.395298, -3.515957 50.39532, -3.516153 50.395495, -3.516164 50.39549, -3.51621 50.395529)), ((-3.516358 50.395045, -3.516205 50.395128, -3.516128 50.395216, -3.51594 50.395303, -3.516133 50.395217, -3.516209 50.39513, -3.51637 50.395044, -3.516358 50.395045)))
|
Facts |
Point |
POINT (-3.516215 50.395345)
|
Facts |
Dataset name | Facts | |
Notes | Parish church. 1884-1906, possibly incorporating parts of the original church of c1819-24. South aisle (1885), north aisle and west front (1892) by G Somers-Clarke. Tower and Lady Chapel (1900-06) by JT Micklethwaite. Squared Devonian limestone rubble; the top stage of tower and the dressings apparently of oolitic limestone; mostly probably Bath stone, although the south-east nave window may be of Beer stone. Tiled roof. Nave orientated NW-SE with east and west aisles; chancel with east and west chancel chapels; additional west aisle (probably the former Lady Chapel) with tower at south end. Perpendicular style with traceried windows. South end of nave flanked by tall, octagonal pinnacled buttresses; at either side of these is a small entrance-porch, reached from Church Street by a long flight of stone steps. Main entrance is by a pointed-arched doorway in the tower, this having 3 empty niches above it; doorway carved with date 1906. 3-stage tower with pinnacles. Lady Chapel with buttresses. INTERIOR: nave has arcade of 5 pointed arches each side; 4 similar arches opening into Lady Chapel. Chancel has 3-sided north end; chancel arch with coloured marble shafts. Cranked arched from east aisle to chancel-chapel and from chancel to both chapels; these are supported by elaborately carved corbels, those to the west chapel (which contains the organ) taking the form of angels with musical instruments. Boarded waggon-roof, with bosses, to nave. Pitched beamed roofs to aisles, that to the Lady Chapel with bosses. Open roofs with arch-braced trusses to chancel and east chancel chapel. At south end of nave 2 stone plaques. One records the start of the rebuilding of the church in 1884, and the other a new nave roof in 1898. Fittings: sexagonal wooden pulpit in Gothic style, carved with seaweed; taken from the original church. Black marble font in east aisle; probably early C19. Pink marble font at south end of nave, with inscription recording baptism in 1874. Reredos in chancel; 1938 by Stanley N Babb. Monuments: east chancel chapel; Henry Francis Lyte (d.1847), first vicar of the parish and author of the hymn 'Abide with Me'. Statue of St Peter, brought from the former Church of St Peter the Fisherman, Brixham. Stained-glass windows to chancel, east chancel chapel, east aisle, Lady Chapel. Subsidiary features: Front curtilage-wall to west of church is of squared Devonian limestone rubble with a moulded coping. At west end square gate piers with ball finials; iron gates with scrollwork. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd ed): London: 1989-: 829; All Saints', Brixham, Restoration Appeal leaflet: Brixham: 1987-; White W: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire: Sheffield: 1850-: 426). Listing NGR: SX9232856153 | Facts |
Listed building | 1293023 | Facts |
Available Code Snippets:
{
"reference": "383575",
"prefix": "listed-building-outline",
"name": "Church Of All Saints Including Front Churchyard Wall, Gates And Gate Piers",
"dataset": "listed-building-outline",
"organisation-entity": "344",
"start-date": "1949-10-17",
"end-date": "",
"entry-date": "1949-10-17",
"typology": "geography",
"geometry": "MULTIPOLYGON (((-3.51621 50.395529, -3.516278 50.395498, -3.516289 50.395507, -3.516335 50.395514, -3.51637 50.395498, -3.516377 50.395469, -3.516371 50.395462, -3.516396 50.39545, -3.516403 50.395427, -3.51637 50.395395, -3.516395 50.395383, -3.516367 50.395355, -3.516415 50.395332, -3.516423 50.395315, -3.51632 50.395221, -3.516333 50.395215, -3.516275 50.39516, -3.516255 50.395151, -3.516219 50.395167, -3.516231 50.395179, -3.516174 50.395205, -3.516184 50.395216, -3.516147 50.395233, -3.516132 50.395218, -3.515988 50.395283, -3.516005 50.395298, -3.515957 50.39532, -3.516153 50.395495, -3.516164 50.39549, -3.51621 50.395529)), ((-3.516358 50.395045, -3.516205 50.395128, -3.516128 50.395216, -3.51594 50.395303, -3.516133 50.395217, -3.516209 50.39513, -3.51637 50.395044, -3.516358 50.395045)))",
"point": "POINT (-3.516215 50.395345)",
"entity": 42147599,
"dataset-name": "",
"notes": "Parish church. 1884-1906, possibly incorporating parts of the original church of c1819-24. South aisle (1885), north aisle and west front (1892) by G Somers-Clarke. Tower and Lady Chapel (1900-06) by JT Micklethwaite. Squared Devonian limestone rubble; the top stage of tower and the dressings apparently of oolitic limestone; mostly probably Bath stone, although the south-east nave window may be of Beer stone. Tiled roof. Nave orientated NW-SE with east and west aisles; chancel with east and west chancel chapels; additional west aisle (probably the former Lady Chapel) with tower at south end. Perpendicular style with traceried windows. South end of nave flanked by tall, octagonal pinnacled buttresses; at either side of these is a small entrance-porch, reached from Church Street by a long flight of stone steps. Main entrance is by a pointed-arched doorway in the tower, this having 3 empty niches above it; doorway carved with date 1906. 3-stage tower with pinnacles. Lady Chapel with buttresses. INTERIOR: nave has arcade of 5 pointed arches each side; 4 similar arches opening into Lady Chapel. Chancel has 3-sided north end; chancel arch with coloured marble shafts. Cranked arched from east aisle to chancel-chapel and from chancel to both chapels; these are supported by elaborately carved corbels, those to the west chapel (which contains the organ) taking the form of angels with musical instruments. Boarded waggon-roof, with bosses, to nave. Pitched beamed roofs to aisles, that to the Lady Chapel with bosses. Open roofs with arch-braced trusses to chancel and east chancel chapel. At south end of nave 2 stone plaques. One records the start of the rebuilding of the church in 1884, and the other a new nave roof in 1898. Fittings: sexagonal wooden pulpit in Gothic style, carved with seaweed; taken from the original church. Black marble font in east aisle; probably early C19. Pink marble font at south end of nave, with inscription recording baptism in 1874. Reredos in chancel; 1938 by Stanley N Babb. Monuments: east chancel chapel; Henry Francis Lyte (d.1847), first vicar of the parish and author of the hymn 'Abide with Me'. Statue of St Peter, brought from the former Church of St Peter the Fisherman, Brixham. Stained-glass windows to chancel, east chancel chapel, east aisle, Lady Chapel. Subsidiary features: Front curtilage-wall to west of church is of squared Devonian limestone rubble with a moulded coping. At west end square gate piers with ball finials; iron gates with scrollwork. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd ed): London: 1989-: 829; All Saints', Brixham, Restoration Appeal leaflet: Brixham: 1987-; White W: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire: Sheffield: 1850-: 426). Listing NGR: SX9232856153",
"listed-building": "1293023"
}
Loading...
© Crown copyright and database right 2025
Licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0.
Geographical area
Help improve this data
Give feedback on this dataset, or email your questions and corrections to digitalland@communities.gov.uk.