Listed building outline

Walls And Quays On All Four Sides Of Harbour Extending From New Pier To Kings Quay

Field Value Fact links
Reference 383546 Facts
Prefix listed-building-outline Facts
Name Walls And Quays On All Four Sides Of Harbour Extending From New Pier To Kings Quay Facts
Dataset Listed building outline no fact link
Organisation Torbay Council no fact link
Start date 1975-01-10 no fact link
End date no fact link
Entry date 1975-01-10 Facts
Typology geography no fact link
Geometry MULTIPOLYGON (((-3.512447 50.397552, -3.512484 50.397555, -3.512978 50.396876, -3.512886 50.396844, -3.512907 50.396813, -3.512889 50.396783, -3.512918 50.396738, -3.512948 50.396746, -3.513086 50.39657, -3.513067 50.396545, -3.513097 50.396509, -3.512977 50.396286, -3.512941 50.396259, -3.512963 50.396245, -3.512674 50.396041, -3.512618 50.396025, -3.512554 50.396056, -3.512409 50.396008, -3.512408 50.395964, -3.511955 50.395884, -3.511821 50.395897, -3.51179 50.395886, -3.51131 50.396175, -3.511285 50.396203, -3.511244 50.396278, -3.511263 50.396347, -3.511091 50.396529, -3.510917 50.396645, -3.510869 50.396635, -3.51085 50.396701, -3.510876 50.396715, -3.510773 50.397021, -3.510657 50.397177, -3.510774 50.397207, -3.510968 50.397084, -3.510969 50.397075, -3.510959 50.397069, -3.510798 50.397023, -3.510914 50.396695, -3.510881 50.39669, -3.510891 50.396653, -3.510927 50.396659, -3.511093 50.396553, -3.511149 50.396506, -3.511288 50.396347, -3.511274 50.396309, -3.511294 50.396236, -3.511325 50.396213, -3.511326 50.396192, -3.511667 50.395981, -3.511799 50.395908, -3.51181 50.395918, -3.511873 50.395902, -3.511973 50.395901, -3.512389 50.395975, -3.512381 50.396008, -3.512404 50.396032, -3.51248 50.396051, -3.512566 50.396084, -3.512613 50.396042, -3.512737 50.396105, -3.512928 50.396245, -3.512906 50.396258, -3.512944 50.396283, -3.513067 50.396501, -3.513056 50.396532, -3.513035 50.39655, -3.513054 50.396562, -3.512937 50.396727, -3.512907 50.396719, -3.512848 50.3968, -3.512874 50.396808, -3.512842 50.396851, -3.512934 50.396879, -3.51257 50.397387, -3.512523 50.397397, -3.511951 50.396941, -3.511888 50.396986, -3.511888 50.396997, -3.512098 50.397197, -3.512417 50.397443, -3.512465 50.397492, -3.512444 50.397505, -3.51247 50.397523, -3.512447 50.397552))) Facts
Point POINT (-3.511997 50.396884) Facts
Dataset name Facts
Notes Harbour walls and quays. Eastern Quay and King's Quay built by 1781; New Pier 1803-4; Victoria Embankment 1897; Southern Quay c1930, extended to link up with King's Quay in 1980s. Walls are mostly of squared Devonian limestone rubble, which is of particularly high quality at the King's Quay. Eastern Quay is of much rougher rubble construction, with large projecting boulders in the lower part and stones laid on edge above. C18 and early C19 walls have copings of Devonian limestone slabs, sometimes disguised by a coating of cement. Late C19 copings are of granite, those on the Southern Quay are of cement. The section of quay linking the Southern and King's Quays is wholly of concrete. Several flights of steps lead down to the water; as with the copings, the earlier ones are of Devonian limestone and the later ones of granite. The harbour is roughly square, its entrance party closed by the New Pier on the west and the King's Quay on the east. The Eastern Quay which projects at an angle from the western side of the harbour is believed to be a C18 addition. An earlier quay projected a little way south of it until C19; it is here that William of Orange is believed to have landed in 1688; a plan of 1781 marks 'King William's steps' at its western end. The southern end of the harbour was a long, shelving cobbled ramp until reconstructed in 1897 as the Victorian Embankment. The original quays seem to have been on the west side. The fish market was here until a new one was built on the north side of the New Pier in 1971 and 1991. Subsidiary features: New Pier is protected on its seaward side by a tall stone rubble wall having on the harbour side a raised walk paved with slabs of Devonian limestone. At its western end is a stone tablet commemorating 'Mr JOHN MATTHEWS for his spirited conduct in causing this Pier to be built'. Foundation stone laid 1803; built with subscriptions from the inhabitants of Brixham; builder was Mr John Kitt. At its eastern end is the short round rendered base of the harbour light. Fixed to the wall below it is a plaque commemorating the landing of the Duke of Clarence here in 1828; this is separately listed. On the pier itself are 5 solid Devonian limestone painted bollards with rounded tops. At the eastern end of the Victoria Embankment is a boat-slip with a surface of granite setts. Fixed to the wall alongside it is a limestone plaque commemorating the laying of its foundation stone on 22 June 1897. King's Quay is marked on the plan of 1781 as 'The Wharf constructed on the Deer Rock'. It was then used for watering HM Navy ships via an elaborate series of pipes running from a reservoir on the site now occupied by Brixham Town Hall. (King J: Watering Place at Brixham: 1781-; Horsley JE: A Short History of Brixham: Exeter: 1988-: 13-17). Listing NGR: SX9255856261 Facts
Listed building 1208367 Facts

Available Code Snippets:

{
    "reference": "383546",
    "prefix": "listed-building-outline",
    "name": "Walls And Quays On All Four Sides Of Harbour Extending From New Pier To Kings Quay",
    "dataset": "listed-building-outline",
    "organisation-entity": "344",
    "start-date": "1975-01-10",
    "end-date": "",
    "entry-date": "1975-01-10",
    "typology": "geography",
    "geometry": "MULTIPOLYGON (((-3.512447 50.397552, -3.512484 50.397555, -3.512978 50.396876, -3.512886 50.396844, -3.512907 50.396813, -3.512889 50.396783, -3.512918 50.396738, -3.512948 50.396746, -3.513086 50.39657, -3.513067 50.396545, -3.513097 50.396509, -3.512977 50.396286, -3.512941 50.396259, -3.512963 50.396245, -3.512674 50.396041, -3.512618 50.396025, -3.512554 50.396056, -3.512409 50.396008, -3.512408 50.395964, -3.511955 50.395884, -3.511821 50.395897, -3.51179 50.395886, -3.51131 50.396175, -3.511285 50.396203, -3.511244 50.396278, -3.511263 50.396347, -3.511091 50.396529, -3.510917 50.396645, -3.510869 50.396635, -3.51085 50.396701, -3.510876 50.396715, -3.510773 50.397021, -3.510657 50.397177, -3.510774 50.397207, -3.510968 50.397084, -3.510969 50.397075, -3.510959 50.397069, -3.510798 50.397023, -3.510914 50.396695, -3.510881 50.39669, -3.510891 50.396653, -3.510927 50.396659, -3.511093 50.396553, -3.511149 50.396506, -3.511288 50.396347, -3.511274 50.396309, -3.511294 50.396236, -3.511325 50.396213, -3.511326 50.396192, -3.511667 50.395981, -3.511799 50.395908, -3.51181 50.395918, -3.511873 50.395902, -3.511973 50.395901, -3.512389 50.395975, -3.512381 50.396008, -3.512404 50.396032, -3.51248 50.396051, -3.512566 50.396084, -3.512613 50.396042, -3.512737 50.396105, -3.512928 50.396245, -3.512906 50.396258, -3.512944 50.396283, -3.513067 50.396501, -3.513056 50.396532, -3.513035 50.39655, -3.513054 50.396562, -3.512937 50.396727, -3.512907 50.396719, -3.512848 50.3968, -3.512874 50.396808, -3.512842 50.396851, -3.512934 50.396879, -3.51257 50.397387, -3.512523 50.397397, -3.511951 50.396941, -3.511888 50.396986, -3.511888 50.396997, -3.512098 50.397197, -3.512417 50.397443, -3.512465 50.397492, -3.512444 50.397505, -3.51247 50.397523, -3.512447 50.397552)))",
    "point": "POINT (-3.511997 50.396884)",
    "entity": 42147571,
    "dataset-name": "",
    "notes": "Harbour walls and quays. Eastern Quay and King's Quay built by 1781; New Pier 1803-4; Victoria Embankment 1897; Southern Quay c1930, extended to link up with King's Quay in 1980s. Walls are mostly of squared Devonian limestone rubble, which is of particularly high quality at the King's Quay. Eastern Quay is of much rougher rubble construction, with large projecting boulders in the lower part and stones laid on edge above. C18 and early C19 walls have copings of Devonian limestone slabs, sometimes disguised by a coating of cement. Late C19 copings are of granite, those on the Southern Quay are of cement. The section of quay linking the Southern and King's Quays is wholly of concrete. Several flights of steps lead down to the water; as with the copings, the earlier ones are of Devonian limestone and the later ones of granite. The harbour is roughly square, its entrance party closed by the New Pier on the west and the King's Quay on the east. The Eastern Quay which projects at an angle from the western side of the harbour is believed to be a C18 addition. An earlier quay projected a little way south of it until C19; it is here that William of Orange is believed to have landed in 1688; a plan of 1781 marks 'King William's steps' at its western end. The southern end of the harbour was a long, shelving cobbled ramp until reconstructed in 1897 as the Victorian Embankment. The original quays seem to have been on the west side. The fish market was here until a new one was built on the north side of the New Pier in 1971 and 1991. Subsidiary features: New Pier is protected on its seaward side by a tall stone rubble wall having on the harbour side a raised walk paved with slabs of Devonian limestone. At its western end is a stone tablet commemorating 'Mr JOHN MATTHEWS for his spirited conduct in causing this Pier to be built'. Foundation stone laid 1803; built with subscriptions from the inhabitants of Brixham; builder was Mr John Kitt. At its eastern end is the short round rendered base of the harbour light. Fixed to the wall below it is a plaque commemorating the landing of the Duke of Clarence here in 1828; this is separately listed. On the pier itself are 5 solid Devonian limestone painted bollards with rounded tops. At the eastern end of the Victoria Embankment is a boat-slip with a surface of granite setts. Fixed to the wall alongside it is a limestone plaque commemorating the laying of its foundation stone on 22 June 1897. King's Quay is marked on the plan of 1781 as 'The Wharf constructed on the Deer Rock'. It was then used for watering HM Navy ships via an elaborate series of pipes running from a reservoir on the site now occupied by Brixham Town Hall. (King J: Watering Place at Brixham: 1781-; Horsley JE: A Short History of Brixham: Exeter: 1988-: 13-17). Listing NGR: SX9255856261",
    "listed-building": "1208367"
}
Loading...

© Crown copyright and database right 2025

Licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0.

Geographical area


Help improve this data

Give feedback on this dataset, or email your questions and corrections to digitalland@communities.gov.uk.