Listed building outline
United Reformed Church, Including Schoolrooms, Front Wall And Gates
Field | Value | Fact links |
---|---|---|
Reference | 383543 | Facts |
Prefix | listed-building-outline | Facts |
Name | United Reformed Church, Including Schoolrooms, Front Wall And Gates | Facts |
Dataset | Listed building outline | no fact link |
Organisation | Torbay Council | no fact link |
Start date | 1975-01-10 | no fact link |
End date | no fact link | |
Entry date | 1975-01-10 | Facts |
Typology | geography | no fact link |
Geometry |
MULTIPOLYGON (((-3.514777 50.392677, -3.515014 50.392619, -3.514992 50.392579, -3.515003 50.392576, -3.514982 50.392539, -3.51497 50.392542, -3.514948 50.392502, -3.514707 50.392559, -3.51473 50.392598, -3.514705 50.392604, -3.514728 50.392644, -3.514754 50.392638, -3.514777 50.392677)), ((-3.515025 50.392478, -3.515015 50.392481, -3.5151 50.392613, -3.51511 50.39261, -3.515025 50.392478)))
|
Facts |
Point |
POINT (-3.514868 50.392588)
|
Facts |
Dataset name | Facts | |
Notes | Congregational chapel. 1843-5, restored and altered 1872 and 1908. Schoolrooms probably a mid/late C19 addition. Stone rubble; front of chapel and upper storey of schoolrooms rendered. Slated roofs; schoolrooms hipped to front. Chapel lies at right-angles to street with front lobby flanked by staircases. Original or near-original galleries on 3 sides, later extended behind the pulpit. Behind this is a recess with organ, probably added in 1908. Set forward to right, and linked to the chapel by a lobby, are the schoolrooms. Chapel has a gabled, projecting centre with pointed-arched doorway having a hoodmould. Above it a large round window, also with hoodmould, filled with quatrefoiled tracery. Over it is a very small quatrefoiled window. Flanking the centrepiece are 2 pointed-arched doorways with matching single-light windows above them. The corners are splayed and each contain a similar pointed-arched window. Prominent eaves-cornice on large shaped brackets, across the whole front. Schoolrooms 2-storeyed on a high battered plinth decorated with a single course of red bricks. Each storey has 3 close-set pointed-arched windows at the front, those in ground storey with arches of alternating red and cream brick. A single matching window in left side wall of ground storey. Rounded stone sill-band in ground storey; similar band just above window heads. The buildings stand on a raised terrace with a small garden, also raised, in front of it. Along the street frontage is a rendered retaining-wall surmounted by a simple iron railing (replaced after World War II). In the centre are 2 square gate piers with elaborately scrolled iron gates (probably original). Matching pier at each end of frontage with intermediate pier to right of gates. There was originally a further railing at rear of garden. INTERIOR: galleries are carried on quatrefoil-section iron columns; gallery fronts panelled with diagonal planking; handrail raised on scrolled iron brackets. The pointed-arched side-windows ignore the galleries, as if these were an afterthought. In the upper end at either side, are 2 similar windows, now painted over, with small-paned glazing, the heads with pointed, intersecting arches. Panelled pulpit with open quatrefoils at the top; steps up at either side with patterned iron railings. Organ recess has pointed arch in alternating red and yellow brick. Tie-beam roof-trusses infilled with arcades of 4-centred arches. Schoolrooms plain with row of simple iron columns down centre of ground storey. (Gregory C: Brixham in Devonia: Totnes: 1896-: 52; Kelly's Directories: Directory of Devonshire: 1910-: 106; Kelly's Directories: Directory of Devonshire: 1923-: 107). Listing NGR: SX9241855843 | Facts |
Listed building | 1195171 | Facts |
Available Code Snippets:
{
"reference": "383543",
"prefix": "listed-building-outline",
"name": "United Reformed Church, Including Schoolrooms, Front Wall And Gates",
"dataset": "listed-building-outline",
"organisation-entity": "344",
"start-date": "1975-01-10",
"end-date": "",
"entry-date": "1975-01-10",
"typology": "geography",
"geometry": "MULTIPOLYGON (((-3.514777 50.392677, -3.515014 50.392619, -3.514992 50.392579, -3.515003 50.392576, -3.514982 50.392539, -3.51497 50.392542, -3.514948 50.392502, -3.514707 50.392559, -3.51473 50.392598, -3.514705 50.392604, -3.514728 50.392644, -3.514754 50.392638, -3.514777 50.392677)), ((-3.515025 50.392478, -3.515015 50.392481, -3.5151 50.392613, -3.51511 50.39261, -3.515025 50.392478)))",
"point": "POINT (-3.514868 50.392588)",
"entity": 42147568,
"dataset-name": "",
"notes": "Congregational chapel. 1843-5, restored and altered 1872 and 1908. Schoolrooms probably a mid/late C19 addition. Stone rubble; front of chapel and upper storey of schoolrooms rendered. Slated roofs; schoolrooms hipped to front. Chapel lies at right-angles to street with front lobby flanked by staircases. Original or near-original galleries on 3 sides, later extended behind the pulpit. Behind this is a recess with organ, probably added in 1908. Set forward to right, and linked to the chapel by a lobby, are the schoolrooms. Chapel has a gabled, projecting centre with pointed-arched doorway having a hoodmould. Above it a large round window, also with hoodmould, filled with quatrefoiled tracery. Over it is a very small quatrefoiled window. Flanking the centrepiece are 2 pointed-arched doorways with matching single-light windows above them. The corners are splayed and each contain a similar pointed-arched window. Prominent eaves-cornice on large shaped brackets, across the whole front. Schoolrooms 2-storeyed on a high battered plinth decorated with a single course of red bricks. Each storey has 3 close-set pointed-arched windows at the front, those in ground storey with arches of alternating red and cream brick. A single matching window in left side wall of ground storey. Rounded stone sill-band in ground storey; similar band just above window heads. The buildings stand on a raised terrace with a small garden, also raised, in front of it. Along the street frontage is a rendered retaining-wall surmounted by a simple iron railing (replaced after World War II). In the centre are 2 square gate piers with elaborately scrolled iron gates (probably original). Matching pier at each end of frontage with intermediate pier to right of gates. There was originally a further railing at rear of garden. INTERIOR: galleries are carried on quatrefoil-section iron columns; gallery fronts panelled with diagonal planking; handrail raised on scrolled iron brackets. The pointed-arched side-windows ignore the galleries, as if these were an afterthought. In the upper end at either side, are 2 similar windows, now painted over, with small-paned glazing, the heads with pointed, intersecting arches. Panelled pulpit with open quatrefoils at the top; steps up at either side with patterned iron railings. Organ recess has pointed arch in alternating red and yellow brick. Tie-beam roof-trusses infilled with arcades of 4-centred arches. Schoolrooms plain with row of simple iron columns down centre of ground storey. (Gregory C: Brixham in Devonia: Totnes: 1896-: 52; Kelly's Directories: Directory of Devonshire: 1910-: 106; Kelly's Directories: Directory of Devonshire: 1923-: 107). Listing NGR: SX9241855843",
"listed-building": "1195171"
}
Loading...
© Crown copyright and database right 2025
Licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0.
Geographical area
Help improve this data
Give feedback on this dataset, or email your questions and corrections to digitalland@communities.gov.uk.